I have always had pride in the fact that he has never had to cancel or reschedule a (non-MTB) race because of weather.  On Sunday, March 3, 2013, that all changed.

The weather forecast for race day going through the week was either dry, sunny and cold or dry, partly cloudy and cold.  On the morning of the race, this was still true.  It was cold and cloudy as I began setting up the course at 6 AM.  There were an occasional lone snow flake, but nothing worth noting.  At 8 AM when we opened registration, there was no doubt in my mind that we would be racing that day.  Even, at 8:30, I still felt the same way.  By 9:30 AM, there was a layer of slick snow covering the roadways.  Riders and even the motorefs were wiping out at slow speeds trying to maneuver through the Oxford Community Park.

 

It was at this time that myself, the Chief Referee (Ron Garrett) and the President of the Miami University Cycling Team (Adam Messina) had a quick meeting to discuss our options.  It was obviously not safe to let the 10 AM wave of races start.  Our first option was to postpone the morning races until 12:30 and run all of the races at the same time and hope that the roads cleared up by then.  The second option was to cancel the whole day and reschedule it for another day.  In the best interest for everyone’s safety, we went ahead and rescheduled the race.  We knew that March 24th was an open weekend in Ohio and made for a good reschedule date.

 

Rescheduling a race is never something I want to do as it inconveniences a lot of people, but on this day, it was the best decision and the right decision under the circumstances.

 

The Spring Tune-Up Road Race has been reschedule for Sunday, March 24, 2013.  All registrations for the original date will be honored on this new date.  We have reopened registration for those who may not have been available on the original date but are available on the reschedule date and want to race.  We have also added a second Men’s Cat 5 field since the original one sold out.  If you pre-registered for the original race date but are unable to attend the rescheduled date, please contact BigDave (bigbikerdave@gmail.com) if you would like to be issued a refund.

 

We hope that most of you will be able to attend the new date along with many other riders to help us raise money for the Miami University Cycling Team.

 

Sincerely,

David “BigDave” Riemenschneider